NLSection: User Commands (1)
Updated: June 2012
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEnl - number lines of files
SYNOPSISnl [OPTION]... [FILE]...
Write each FILE to standard output, with line numbers added. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
- -b, --body-numbering=STYLE
- use STYLE for numbering body lines
- -d, --section-delimiter=CC
- use CC for separating logical pages
- -f, --footer-numbering=STYLE
- use STYLE for numbering footer lines
- -h, --header-numbering=STYLE
- use STYLE for numbering header lines
- -i, --line-increment=NUMBER
- line number increment at each line
- -l, --join-blank-lines=NUMBER
- group of NUMBER empty lines counted as one
- -n, --number-format=FORMAT
- insert line numbers according to FORMAT
- -p, --no-renumber
- do not reset line numbers at logical pages
- -s, --number-separator=STRING
- add STRING after (possible) line number
- -v, --starting-line-number=NUMBER
- first line number on each logical page
- -w, --number-width=NUMBER
- use NUMBER columns for line numbers
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
By default, selects -v1 -i1 -l1 -sTAB -w6 -nrn -hn -bt -fn. CC are two delimiter characters for separating logical pages, a missing second character implies :. Type \\ for \. STYLE is one of:
- number all lines
- number only nonempty lines
- number no lines
- number only lines that contain a match for the basic regular expression, BRE
FORMAT is one of:
- left justified, no leading zeros
- right justified, no leading zeros
- right justified, leading zeros
AUTHORWritten by Scott Bartram and David MacKenzie.
REPORTING BUGSReport nl bugs to [email protected]
GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>
General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>
Report nl translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/>
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
SEE ALSOThe full documentation for nl is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and nl programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info coreutils aqnl invocationaq
should give you access to the complete manual.
This document was created by man2html, using the manual pages.
Time: 05:29:06 GMT, December 24, 2015